Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Embryonic Mythology...

Although the topic of embryonic stem cell research has been brewing for a while, to my shame, I have remained relatively ignorant on the topic. I have done some research and now I have an opinion.

I cannot support “embryonic” stem cell research. The basis for this declaration is that human life should not be created to be destroyed and harvested. I state this knowing that many will argue about when life begins and at what point are we killing someone. However, the fact remains that these embryos are growing humans.

That is the moral argument supported by scientific fact. This does not seem to be enough in our cultures’ court of public opinion, so I will frame my stance in “rational” terms:

I highly support stem cell research and its use in curing illness. “Embryonic” stem cell research is my only exception. Stem cells can be collected from the eyes, blood, spinal cord, bone marrow, brain, skin, umbilical cord, muscles, and embryos. All of which have been tested and used to cure illnesses, except one. Embryonic stem cells have been tested extensively and have never cured anyone. I am glad, because it happens to be the only method that is morally objectionable.

So why are so many asking that we pour time and money into the only failed method? Why are so many asking that we pour time and money into the only morally objectionable method? The “forbidden fruit” syndrome strikes again. We just can't get enough of the unethical.


The question remains, not what can be done, but what should be done?



This article details some of the media myths involving stem cell research.
http://www.flacathconf.org/issuesinfo/041014%20FL%20Catholic.htm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home